A walk through the cobbled alleys of Chóra…
Reveals impressive monuments and sites:
- The Byzantine castle. At the entrance, you can see the walled marble lion (dragon) and the remains of the Cyclopean and Byzantine walls. The view of the sea and the rest of the islands of the Sporades of the North is overwhelming. Here, among the offerings, shines the gold medal of the first Greek Olympic champion, Spyros Louis.
- Folk Art Museum of Manos and Anastasia Faltaits, founded in 1964 in the Skyriton Park.
- The Palaiopyrgos (Old Tower), the largest tower of the old Pelasga wall of the island.
- The small stone theater, which hosts important cultural events in summer, including the «Skyros Festival».
- The Archaeological Museum has findings that go from the early Heládian period to the Roman era.
- “Megali Strata“, which leads to Kyprou Square
The beaches of Skyros
In Skyros you can enjoy some of the most beautiful beaches in Greece! Crystal clear waters, beaches of golden sand and dazzling landscapes dominated by pine trees that reach the shore form an impressive landscape, ideal for moments of relaxation. The nearest beaches to Hora are Magazia, Molos, Papa to Houma and Lino. The long sandy beach of Molos is among the most cosmopolitan places on the island. In the north you can choose the beaches of Petritsa, Kyra Panagia, Agios Petros and Theotokos.
The main characteristic of the island is its distinctive landscape; The northern part is dominated by lush pine forests and green landscapes, while the southern part has a wild but attractive beauty.
In Magazia you can see the church of Agios Georgios, while in “Pouria” you can admire the old quarry. Here is the church of Agios Nikolaos that was carved into the rock.
Aspous, a wonderful coastal town, 4.5 km south of Hóra. Legend says that Achilles began his journey to Troy from the adjacent Achilli Bay.
Acherounes, 10 km south of Hora, is a settlement by the sea that attracts many water sports enthusiasts thanks to its endless stretch of sandy beaches.
Pefkos is a wooded creek with a tempting beach. You can visit the church of Agios Panteleimonas, from where you can admire the stunning views of the sea.
Atsitsa is a coastal town that bears the name of the nearby island, located 18.5 km west of Hora. It is nestled in a place covered with pines of exceptional beauty with rock formations. It is a popular destination for alternative tourism enthusiasts.
Discover the best kept “secret” of the island: in the vicinity of the port, there are a lot of marine caves with stalactites (Xyloparati, Mantroucha, Pentekali, Diatrypti, Gerania). Small boats make excursion trips to these caves, through arched openings in the rocks outside the port of Linaria.
Eventos & celebrations in Skyros
A multitude of customs reveals a centuries-old tradition that has remained almost intact over the centuries. The colorful cultural events and local festivals that take place in the 365 churches of the island offer visitors an unforgettable experience with an exquisite local style throughout the year. The famous Skyros Carnival counts among the most famous cultural events.